Monmouth Men took on the Village Lions from New York to start the 2010 Monmouth Day celebrations. Conditions were good with a gusting wind straight down the pitch towards Brookdale College, Monmouth won the toss and took the wind.
The starting fifteen saw some changes form the previous weeks game against Albany including Tim Crane returning to loosehead prop, Sean Dunne Reynolds replace Nick Lynch at fullback with Nick moving to fly half and Brendan McSherry slotting in at outside center. Also the back row had a familiar look to it with Sean Mallon, Kevin Delia and Rob Shope being back together for the first time this season.
From the Lions kickoff Monmouth moved the ball left and following a quick ruck Joe Lucarelli combined with Kevin Kuestelski for a converted try within 40 seconds.
Scott Reilly’s refereeing was a contrast to the free for all at the ruck last week with both sides being obliged to stay on their feet and enter through the gate. This freed up the Monmouth forwards to create good phase possession which combined well with Nick Lynch’s distribution and right on five minutes Kuestelski bagged his second which was converted by Lucarelli.
Sean Mallon was on hand three minutes later with what is becoming his trademark picking up a loose ball and poaching a try from a yard or so out, try was converted by Joe.
The tight five of Crane, Michael Delia, Peterson, Russionello and Barlow were working well to give the backs excellent first phase ball from the scrum and lineout and on 14 minutes Monmouth got a great nudge through the tighthead about 40 meters out. Rob Shope picked from 8 and put Rob Morello in to space for a fine first phase score. Then Kuestelski grabbed his third for a hat trick within 21 minutes following great progress and support from Kevin Delia and the mobile Tim Crane
At this point the Monmouth forwards were presenting great ball to the backs and turning over the Lions to thwart all their attacks. Not to be outdone the pack made some great progress down the left and Barlow crashed over from five out for a converted try.
This left the score at 38-0 at the half where Crane was replaced by Kaldrovics who announced his arrival with a huge hit at the ruck just after the start of the second half which left the Lion he hit needing some attention. The next changes were May for Russionello and Hardy for Peterson to introduce some fresh legs in the tight five.
It was 18 minutes into the second half before Rob Shope extended the lead with a try converted by Lucarelli who was punishing the Lions with big runs. Joey Scott replaced James Barlow at second row and it was great to see Blue back in Monmouth colors after his first year in West Point where he played hooker.
Kaldrovics was then held just short but managed to dot down with an outstretched arm under the posts for another try converted by Lucarelli.
Sean Dunne Reynolds who had a fine outing was replaced at full back by Michael Dorata. Dorata is just back from his first year playing rugby at Rowan where he has developed into a fast strike fullback/fly half. Doug King took over from the unlucky Carlos Oliveria on the wing who could have picked up a couple of tries bar for some mistimed passes inside him. Joe Corbo also replaced Rob Shope with Sean Mallon sliding back to eight.
At the death Monmouth produced their best attack from deep in their own half for Kuestelski to grab his fourth to leave the final at 57-0 with Kevin failing to convert his own score.
Man of the match went to Tim Crane for his grafting first half performance at loosehead.
The b-side were beaten 37-5 with lots of Old Boys joining the team in the second half. Man of the match was the spry try scorer E.J. Duffy.